There are many ways to setup scan to e-mail on your multi-functional device. In an ideal scenario you will have your own smtp server which the Copier can use to relay mail.
Without an in-house mail server you will need to find some alternative method of sending scans from the device to an e-mail server. You could use your Internet providers smtp server or your e-mail host may also provide this feature.
Another option is to send all scans from the Copier to Gmail’s smtp server. If you are comfortable using a third party to deliver your scans and you have no alternative smtp server, then this may be your best option.
Setting up you GMAIL account
The most important thing here is to turn On less Secure Apps in your Google account. For security reasons you may want to create a new account rather than using your own.
- Go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
- Create an email account taking note of the
username and password.
- Turn on less secure Apps
Scan to e-mail setup for Canon Multi-functional Devices
Adding the smtp server to your Device
- Open a browser and enter the IP address of your Canon Device
- Login to the device using the Administrator account and password.
- Click the Settings/Registration link on the right-hand side menu
- On the left-hand side menu under Function Settings click the Send link
- Click on Network Settings – E-mail/I-Fax Settings
- Enter SMTP.GMAIL.COM as the smtp server
- Enter the e-mail address of the Gmail account
you created earlier.
- Under Authentication/Encryption settings
tick the box for Allow TLS (SMTP TX) – (this may also be called Allow
- Tick the checkbox for Use SMTP Authentication
(SMTP AUTH) and enter your Gmail account credentials in the User Name and
- Note: all other options should be left
- Click the OK button to save your changes.
- You should now be in the Send menu. Click on Communication Settings – E-Mail/I-Fax Settings
- Untick the checkbox for Specify Authentication User as Sender
- This may also be called Set Authorized User Destination to Sender
- If neither of these options are present you can skip this step.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- You should now be able to scan to e-mail via Gmail’s smtp server.
- You can test Scan delivery by checking the Sent folder of your GMAIL account. If the scan appears in here you can be sure the copier is connecting successfully to GMAIL’s services.
Why work with Docutec?
Part of the Cantec Group, Docutec are Ireland’s leading printer supplier; providing desktop printers, multifunction printers, photocopiers, large format printers, high volume printers and document scanners.